Friday, October 26, 2007

Riding Colorado

by Osman Parvez
----

Living in Colorado, you can't help but notice all the dirt bikes around. Where are these people riding anyway? What's the attraction?

Turns out that Colorado is a paradise for off road riding. People from all over the world come to Colorado to ride. Heading into the weekend, here's a beautifully illustrated tale of adventure riding in Colorado.

We have traveled about 750 miles on primarily jeep trails, single track and some hard surface. Many passes have been summited and some trails have stopped us dead in our tracks.

Riders are holding up well, but bikes are not. We spent most of the day limping bikes back to camp. I will do a full ride report and post lots of pictures when I return.

Read on

p.s. I know there is criticism that off road vehicles because they can be noisy and possibly damage the ecosystems in which they pass. It's a worthy debate, but I won't step into it now, at least in this post. I'll leave for another time the lengthy debate of those in favor vs those opposed to the use of motorized vehicles on public lands.


----
Like this analysis?    Subscribe to our client research report.     
Want to get blog updates via email?  Click HERE.       
Ready to buy or sell?  Schedule an appointment or call 303.746.6896. 
You can also like our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter.

As always, your referrals are deeply appreciated.  

--
The ideas and strategies described in this blog are the opinion of the writer and subject to business, economic, and competitive uncertainties.   We strongly recommend conducting rigorous due diligence and obtaining professional advice before buying or selling real estate. 

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to the discussion but for now I suggest you start that discussion with a far more realistic comment. You said:

    I know there is criticism of off road vehicles because they can be noisy and possibly damage the ecosystems in which they pass.

    What you need to say, and this is in no way judgemental of trail riding, just acknowledgement:

    I know there is criticism of off road vehicles because they are noisy and do damage the ecosystems in which they pass and the surronding environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you need to say, and this is in no way judgemental of trail riding, just acknowledgement:

    Rob. Your version of my sentence presupposes the noise and environmental damage. 100%, irrespective of the leading sentence refutation.

    If we're going to go there (and didn't I say I wouldn't?), one could make the case that the major roadways bisecting our landscape are far more damaging than a few offroaders riding through the woods. You could make the argument that air travel is massively detrimental, contributing ginormous amounts of greenhouse gases. New development, particularly in formerly pristine regions too. And on down the rabbit hole.

    The counter point from the off roaders? Their interest (and voting and spending) has protected many natural areas from development or resource extraction. A brown line of singletrack through the woods is hardly an issue.

    Anyway, I'm not sure where I stand on this as yet but I do see the point from both sides. I think there's a middle ground somewhere at which most should be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it help if I also think it needs be made clear that even hiking and camping have impacts? Those holier than thou eco-woodies think their sh.. don't stink. All I'm asking is that discussion be about relative impacts and relative access. One thing I know, a mementary whiff of Castrol 2stroke beats stepping in a trailload of manure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BB,

    I just rejected your comment because of the graphic nature of your language. I don't mind a little acidity, but you have to keep it PG rated on this blog. Below is a sanitized/edited version of the comment you made. If you'd prefer to resubmit an edited version yourself, feel free....

    -----
    BB's comment [Osman's edit = xxxx]
    -----
    Rob Dawg,
    With all due respect, go [xxxx]. The only peope that are "holier-than-thou" are you inconsiderate [xxxx]s who insist on destroying the natural outdoor experience for those poor folk within 2 miles of you. I hate you off-roaders, and I make no apologies for it. With any luck, those damned things will be banned from "possibly" (yeah, right) doing any further damage to the public's land.

    ReplyDelete